Sunday, July 24, 2011

An Unexpected Memory...

Pops turned 60 on June 27th. We had a very laid back dinner here at the house out on the deck. Just Mom, Dad and me and my two kids. Occasionally we like to play a game at the dinner table. That night Rabbit (the nickname for my daughter) wanted us to go around and tell my Dad our favorite memory with him.

Since it was Rabbit's idea she naturally wanted to go first. Her memory was when Pops took the kids to the Science Museum. She thought that was the best day ever!

Handsome (nickname for my son) struggled a bit with his, but ultimately decided it was when Gma and Gpa took them to ride the train in Boone, IA and did a little hiking. This was in January while Mel and I were in NYC. Whenever I go out of town my parents watch the kids and they love it cause they call it "Camp Grandma...where you can have Popsicles before bed and dirty feet in the sheets." lol

Mom's favorite memory was their wedding day.

Then it was my turn. Pops said, "I bet your favorite memory was when we went to Boston." To which I replied, "Well that certainly ranks up there but it's not my favorite." He looked at me quizzically.

So I said, "My favorite memory is actually when I was a little girl you used to wake me up at 4 am and we'd take Grandpa's fishin boat out and go fishing. I remember being SO cold and wearing my pale blue puffy coat that all the kids had in the 80's. You taught me how to bait my hook and cast and reel and unhook and scale. And I remember how the water was like glass, as we sat in silence and cast out. Those moments taught me patience. So thank you."

He was a bit taken aback that I even remembered those times, and is now determined to try and create similar moments with my son. :)

Every chance I get I try to create similar moments with my kids. Like when they were little and every night before bed we would snuggle on the couch and I would read to them. I would then tuck them into bed and put a glass of water on their nightstands. They remember. They will remember the moments that made them who they are.

The fact that I recalled that memory with my Father didn't surprise me like it did him, but realizing that learning how to fish with my Dad is where I first learned the art of patience, did.

I wonder if you have any memories like that. *ponders* I bet you do. :)

1 comment:

  1. I went fishing with my dad, too. Unfortunately he didn't teach me patience. He did teach me how to cuss, however. *grin*

    ReplyDelete