Thursday, July 14, 2011

Deck party......but on a beach.

When I was but a wee little tot, I had a cast on my right leg. From my knee down. It was there to straighten it out, because apparently it was really turned in. Could be why I have issues with my right knee now. Of course it didn't help when a couple of years ago I was choreographing a pas de deux for the Nutcracker, and in demonstrating some partnering work for my Plum (See Why I Teach) the Nutcracker Prince dipped me too far back hyper extending my right knee. I couldn't dance for two weeks after that. It SUCKED!

Now when I do any full out dancing I need to make sure and wrap my knee, otherwise I'll be crying in pain the next day. It's crazy to think that I went from needing a cast to straighten out my leg, to becoming a dancer and choreographer.

I used to dance for my family when I was a kid. I remember wearing my first Ballet costume and being out in the driveway on a hot summer day. We had people over for a barbecue I think, and they were all sitting in lawn chairs watching me makeup a dance to Take My Breath Away.

In addition to my normal dance classes, once a week I would go up to one of the schools nearby and meet with the Filipino/American dance troupe. I spent some time dancing and performing around the city with them. I loved tinikling and can still do it, but even more so, I loved to do THIS one....

http://youtu.be/4Gf8Xa0N2yk .... yes those are real candles, and yes I can still do that. lol

The annual Filipino/ American festival was one of my favorite things to go to as a kid. It was a pig roast. We would dance and sing and there was always so much food! My Mom would laugh with her friends and play mah jong late into the night. I can't really speak Tagalog. I mean I know a few phrases and things but that's about it.  I can instantly recognize it when I hear it though. One of the things I regret is not learning the language. There's still time. :)

If I ever get married again.....someday in a far off dream.......I want to have the wedding here...

http://pinterest.com/pin/53827456/

And I want my head table here....

http://pinterest.com/pin/53828620/

And I want it to be a HUGE party complete with traditional Filipino food, and laughter and music and dancing ALL night. I basically want a "deck party" but on a beach. :) Who's in?

1 comment:

  1. *sigh*

    P.S. I can totally do that candle dance, too. Of course there's more fire involved. And maybe an extinguisher, but I can TOTALLY do it.

    ReplyDelete