Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Channel U...

That's not some metaphor, it really was a TV channel. Granted it was around 1978-79 that this memory takes place and I was 4/5 years old. My younger Sister and I would lay on the floor, our heads resting on a giant paisley green pillow and watch TV. Pops was in the Air Force and stationed in Germany at the time and we lived on base. We apparently didn't get very good reception because the only way the TV worked is if the dial was sitting on U.

Do you remember the gianormous box TVs that were so heavy from the wood casing that it was it's own piece of furniture? The kind that you had to physically turn the heavy dial and it would make a loud clicking noise every time you turned it? Yeah that's the kind of TV I'm talking about. Anyway we had our blankets and were most likely sucking our thumbs.

The only show I ever cared to watch? Wonder Woman. I loved her. I love super heroes in general, but I wanted to BE Wonder Woman. She was strong, and beautiful and she had that  awesome truth lasso and the bracelets that could deflect bullets AND she had an invisible frakkin plane people! Dude!

Other than my fondness for watching Wonder Woman, the other memories that stand out to me, are that of my older Sister Lynn teaching me how to ride a bike. It was green with a green and white banana seat. I remember touring the spectacular castles and making a Christmas ornament in class. I'm fairly certain we still have it. It's a bell made out of an aluminum foil covered Styrofoam cup...with glued on macaroni noodles. Now if that doesn't scream "artist" I don't know what does.

There are other memories about that time of my life that ebb and flow, much like all memories do, and I'm sure if I sit here and think for a while I could find a few more. Such as the beginning of my love affair with Gummi worms, Gummi bears and especially Gummi colas!  Nobody does Gummi like the Germans. lol

Out of all of the memories though, the one that will forever be the stamp in my proverbial passport, will be laying in front of the TV with my baby sister and our dog Donka. He was a long-haired wiener dog. When he got to runnin' after somethin' too fast his back legs would go faster than his front legs and he'd end up runnin' sideways. Funny shit right there.

I still wanna be Wonder Woman when I grow up. Only now, I can fill in the costume. ;)  AND.... I want to marry Batman. *insert BH head tilt here* He's my favorite male super hero.

What super hero do U wanna be when you grow up?

No comments:

Post a Comment