Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Inspiration in it's Many Forms...

I am often asked, "What inspires you to do what you do?" I usually answer the question with a question. "Well, that depends on what 'do' you're referring to." They then often say, "Well, all of it."

When it comes to dance, I find inspiration in other dancers. Watching amazing dancers move, moves me. All forms of dance. Music flows through my veins like water and in turn inspires me to create movement that is just as fluid.  Not always fluid though. I LOVE a good drum beat. The second I hear it, I'm in my head tappin. Mel laughs when I do that, because I vocalize the rhythm I hear. When I teach a Hip Hop class, you most likely will not hear me teach with counts. I teach with sound effects. I teach everything else with counts though.

When it comes to life...well...I could go on for days. My children inspire me to try to see things simply. To question everything so we can learn. I believe we are all here to learn from each other. It's one of the main reasons I teach to begin with. To share what I have learned over the years. When one learns, one must then teach. We are all teachers of one kind or another.

My Mom inspires me to do the things that make me happy. She believes in me fiercely and has one of the BEST dispositions on the planet. She's always the one in my corner saying, "Why not? Do it!" It helps me to keep moving forward. To do my best to stay in the moment.

My bestie, Mel, inspires me to stay away from any sort of comfort zone. Her belief in me is unmatched.  Her humor and wit are a snarky force to be reckoned with. She has often said that I am the yin to her yang. That, my friends, is truth. She has been there for me during some of the darkest moments of my life and has come through the other side with me to help me shine my light. She recently said to me, " You shouldn't have to fight anymore. I have watched you fight for SO long. You deserve so much more!" No one knows my heart better than that woman and I thank God every day for her. 

Then there is the one who is pure of heart, off the charts generosity, never ending energy, smile that lights my world, eyes that go straight to my heart and a mind that I so supremely admire and respect. His passion, and zest for life, inspires me to rise every morning and try again. Is he perfect? Nope. He's just a dude. But his LOVE is perfect and I am thankful he is in my world.

Basically, I am inspired by anything creative I can get my hands on. I sing, I dance, I act, I draw, I cook, etc...I had a gal ask me the other day on Twitter after reading my bio, "Damn woman! Is there anything you can't do?" To which I replied.......... "Yup! I can't whistle." :)

1 comment:

  1. Perfection. And I'll be here no matter how dim or brightly your light shines. I love you.

    ReplyDelete