Monday, July 25, 2011

On Broadway...

The first time I went to NYC was the Summer of 2007. Driving in NYC for mere moments when I was a teenager doesn't count (See: Farfegnugen, Kitaro and the Moment I Fell in Love with Boston). I was living in the Twin Cities at the time. Teaching dance. Happy in that respect. The studio director and I took two of our assistant teachers with us to The Pulse Teacher's Workshop that Summer. One of our assistant's Dad works for BBDO and he has an apartment in Chelsea that we stayed at. First we were in Vegas for the Dance America dance Nationals. My first Hip Hop duet, (song was Doesn't Really Matter- Janet Jackson)  ended up qualifying at regionals. Took 2nd place at Nationals. Skylar, the other assistant was my first solo I choreographed for the studio. It was a Jazz piece to Rob Thomas' This is How a Heart Breaks. He took 1st. I was so proud of them!

Stretching Sky before he danced. He also won Miss Congeniality! :)


My Hip Hop duet. I made their costumes. Including hand painting the graffiti on the tank tops. Those bricks took FOREVER!


When we got to NYC, I knew I'd love it there. If I had to explain to someone why the city has such a strong pull for me, I guess the easiest response I can give is.....I'm in love with the heartbeat of NY. The creative energy, the second you step off the plane, is palpable.

We stayed almost a week that time. I remember dancing all day. Being taught by my favorite choreographers in my favorite city was nothing short of AMAZING. I went to my first Broadway show and we saw my favorite musical....Chicago. Lisa Rinna was Roxy Hart. It was during the day and according to the director of the studio, was "the worst production I've seen". Are you kidding? I'm in NYC, watching my favorite musical on Broadway. I was so freakin happy I just sat and cried half way through it.

Part of that was the blinding realization that no matter how much I wanted to stay, I would actually have to go back home. I didn't want to go back to that. I dreaded going home. I missed my kids, but my stomach tied itself in knots with the thought of having to go back to a miserable marriage. I remember standing in FAO Shwartz, holding the two puppets I was buying for my kids, and telling my friend that I was gonna go home and leave my husband. She stood there for a moment, then put the stuffed animals she was holding down, hugged me and told me that she was proud of me. We stood in the store and I cried (I went home, moved out, and moved in with my friend. That would be my first attempt to break free. July 2007).

The last night we were there, there was a charity gala event for The Pulse, so we got all dolled up and went. Great performances we witnessed that night. Then, we decided not to waste our dresses. So we went to Magnolia's on Bleeker, then walked a block til we found a little park. My first Magnolia's cupcake *sigh* was enjoyed in a little park at 11:30p.m. in my little black dress and kick ass heels. It was a very SATC moment for us.



Mmmmmm....Magnolia's. I had a pink streak in my hair that Summer. Pissed him off. I'm such a rebel. lol


One of my favorite memories about that trip though, was one rainy morning before we went to class, while I waited for everyone to wake up, I sat in the window of the fire escape and just watched the city as it came to life. It was so perfect. If you have read my blogs up until this point or are a part of my life, you'll know how much I love a quiet Summer rain. Another perfect moment for a perfect memory.


My view while sitting on the fire escape. Perfection.

I've been back a couple of times since then, each trip better than the last,  and am trying to get there permanently. It will be a fight. I'm ready for it. It's a good thing it isn't just up to him anymore. I took the dream off the shelf and dusted it off, so now it shines like a new penny. :)  They say life begins at the end of your comfort zone. I stepped out of my comfort zone a year ago, and I have no intention of going back.

Forward I dance, to whatever beat drops in my head at any given moment. Yo DJ! Drop, drop, drop it on the one...

1 comment: