Wednesday, July 27, 2011

So Much Betta...

The Fall after I moved back home from the Twin Cities I was asked to be on the judges panel for Iowa's Got Talent. It was there that I met Tanya Ogden. She owns Dance FX, a dance studio here in Des Moines. At the time she was VERY pregnant. We hit it off because neither one of us believes in studio competition. We both share the philosophy that as teachers we should be able to work as a whole. To bounce ideas off of each other and help each other. I'm not particularly fond of studios whose main focus is to drive their students into the ground by working them til their dead for a ribbon or a plaque that collects dust.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in healthy competition. Some of these studios take it way too far. Just watch the reality show Dance Moms. I've heard there are some pretty bad teachers on there. I have a thing about "Reality TV"so I haven't watched it. It's not that I think "Reality TV" is bad per say, but I just get so embarrassed for people sometimes. I feel bad for them you know? Anyway, Tanya and I had fun judging the competition that night and remained in contact.

Her studio is where I taught my Let's Go Higher routine. She danced as well as some of her students. It was an Intermediate Hip Hop routine that I wanted to be easy enough for BH's to do if they wanted. By no means was that piece "performance" level.


Let's Go Higher Intermediate Class (Tanya's in pink)


Today I get a random text from Tanya. She wanted my advice on something and asked a great question!

T: By any chance would you be available to judge my team auditions this Sun? I know it's late notice and understand if not. They are at noon and will last over an hour. Would love to have you!

Me: Let me check with work and get back to you. Can I let you know tomorrow?

T: Sure thing! Thanks! Quick ? About choreography. when you first began to choreograph or even still, did/do you check yourself on implementing specific choreography elements such as time, space, form (like AB, ABA)? I'm teaching a beginning class in creating choreo this summer and havin a lil trouble with them understanding elements.

Me: Hmmm. Kind of. For me, when I choreograph, it's always changing even as I teach it. What you envision can't always be carried out. I always leave room to change things that don't look or feel right. I have certain space elements in my head but they rarely stay the same. When I give a class on choreography techniques it's important to me to get across the fluidity of transitions. That, more than anything can make or break a piece for me. I think that helps with space and time as well.

T: So how do you explain transitioning to kids though? LOL Sorry, that's a big question for texting I suppose.

Me: No worries! Happy to help. I usually tell kids to think of it as creating a wave in water. The ripples flow one right into the other until it gently fades. OR...like connect the dots. Each movement connects to the other with no break in the lines until the picture is complete. Then I have them actually do a connect the dots worksheet to see what I mean.

T: Ooh great analogy!! Yay! I may try that tonight! There are are 7 girls in class, experience levels vary from beg to advanced. End result is them performing a self choreographed piece at our fair show. Have been trying to decide how to work that but you just helped me1 I may have each do their own combo and connect to each others. which would really cause them to think! Thank You!

Me: That would be cool! You're welcome! Anytime!


She then asked if I would come teach a Contemporary workshop and what I charge. Then asked if I would also be interested in guest teaching a Contemporary class this Fall. SO excited about this!! You don't even know! lol It was so good to "talk shop" with someone today. I don't get to do that very often and I miss it.

 For those who are wondering, this is what one of my performance/competition pieces look like depending on the job. 



And this is what one looks like during my process of teaching one:


Life is So Much Betta when I'm dancing. So, so, SO much betta. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment