Thursday, August 25, 2011

Permission to Shine...

I chose to not blog last night. My eyes grew heavy rather quickly after crawling into bed. It was a fun night at work. We had a bday party. For each bday party, we have all the kids in the place "wake up" Monkey Joe, our big purple monkey mascot, so he can entertain the kids. The monkey and I got into a wrestling match last night. Comedy! Then I was changing the bag of nacho cheese in the dispenser and it exploded everywhere. Which is hilarity in itself....well not the whole being scorching hot part.

This morning my daughter is currently belting out Taylor Swift in her bedroom and my son is belting out Ne-Yo in his. This is my house on a daily basis. It is filled with music and LOVE. We are a creative bunch and I nutrture my children's creative minds. My son insists he wants to draw comic books for a living and he may very well do that....but my gut tells me that he will take the acting route. He was bit by the entertainment bug at a very young age and wants to audition for a few plays this fall at the Des Moines Playhouse.

Rabbit on the other hand, will be going to The Fashion Institute. This girl, *smh* knows what she wants and nothing's gonna stop her. Unless she decides she wants to go into the medical field. She thinks she might also want to be a medical examiner. I could see it going either way really.

When I was a little girl, if I wasn't singing and dancing around the house, I was pretending that I was the CEO of JC Penny's. I would get out the catalog and sit on my floor with my electric calculator and pretend I was taking orders. I had paper money and everything. The funny thing about that is I ended up spending 15 years in retail management. lol The funny thing about singing and dancing around the house is I am now a choreographer finally pursuing my dream of performing. Whether it be singing, dancing or acting.

I recorded my video submission for The Voice yesterday morning and it should be arriving in Cali sometime today. I'm a titch nervous. OK...more than a titch. This is WAY outside of my comfort zone. Performing is one thing, competing is a whole other ball of wax. I was very adamant about never being on a competition show. I don't like to lose, so I rarely put myself in a position that allows that to happen. I've lost enough in the world of reality, I'm kinda over it. lol That being said, I have this one life, this new lease on life and if I don't take a few chances then am I really living the life I had imagined?

My audition submission for those who missed the link on Twitter....


*pause* SMH Frakkin still shots.

When I was a little girl, I dreamt of being on stage like Janet Jackson. She was my idol. Still is. She is the consumate performer. All around talent and I aspired to be like her. We are similar in that, we are by nature, shy, but get us in front of a camera or on stage and we are 'home'. Am I as good as Janet? No....but I don't think I suck. lol  I want this. When I want something, it usually means I won't get it. Fact. I'm not talking about the things I 'think' I want or 'thought' I wanted. I'm talking about the things that are deeply rooted in me. The things I never thought I could have but so desperately wanted. The things that aren't really 'things' at all. Not in the material sense anyway.


So, here I sit contemplating all that could be, and I'm scared shitless. Why? Because...this time....I might actually succeed.


Our Greatest Fear —Marianne Williamson

it is our light not our darkness that most frightens us



Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,
talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other
people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory of
God that is within us.

It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine,
we unconsciously give other people
permission to do the same.

As we are liberated from our own fear,
Our presence automatically liberates others.

—Marianne Williamson





1 comment:

  1. *sigh* You've always been a star.

    Sometimes you just haven't been able to see it because the sun has been too bright.

    ReplyDelete