Monday, August 29, 2011

Dance in the Moment...

Last Saturday was the day I went to choreograph. Prior to this, I asked the coach to get me a video of them performing. I didn't care what it was I just wanted a sense of how they moved. Well, she was never able to get it to load. Meaning, I was flying blind.

It was a tough three hours. My patience was definitely tested, although I'd say I did pretty well under the circumstances. I knew once I started that there was NO WAY we were gonna get outta there by 6p.m. which is when they wanted to be done. I told them after about an hour that wasn't possible. Then I find out that we HAD to stop at 6 because some of the girls had to work that night. So, I agreed to come back two additional times to finish the routine. I assured the girls that I would not leave them with an unfinished piece.

I got an email from the coach today telling me that the girls have decided they no longer wanted to do a hip hop piece. According to the coach they *really* wanted to do hip hop, but then saw the piece I choreo'd that took State in '09 and then decided they weren't good enough to do something like that so they gave up.

Now, had they tried to do this routine with only what was given on Sat without me coming back several times to "clean" it up, they most likely would've fallen way short. Their lack of hip hop training really set them back. Seeing how State competition is in December they would have to work incredibly hard to place. And that's being nice. These are all things I already told the girls. Their biggest hurdle was that they were too concerned with how they "felt" while doing the steps. "I feel like I look stupid" was a common phrase.

At the beginning of the session I went over my rules of class. 2 hours later, Mel pulled me aside and said she had talked to the coach and brought this to my attention, so I went back in and told them quite simply,
"Look girls, the stupider you feel while doing these moves.....the cooler you look." It's the truth. Sad, really, that they gave up, but understandable given the time constraint and the amount of work that we would need to put into this piece and truth be told, they'd be spending a lot of money on a piece that would not place. They just don't have the training to execute the movements. I had to water everything down. That goes against some of my fundamental beliefs. I will not teach down, I will challenge up.

Such as life. As challenging as it was it was also good to get back in front of a group again. Even for a little while.

In other news, I'm a little sad today. Part of me *really* wants to be in VA Beach this weekend and part of me *really* doesn't. The bigger part of my heart wants to be there though, so....yeah. Perhaps one day I'll make it to a birthday bash. You know if it's anywhere in close proximty to me. But not Chicago. Having one in Chicago would make that bigger part of my heart not want to go. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Chicago. I just....nevermind. I have to work this weekend so the possibility of VA isn't even on the table. Ok...I gotta get off this subject.

Work today was quite slow. Most kids are back to school now so the days are quiet and the late afternoons get busy. After work was filled with the usual errand running and dinner making. I danced in the kitchen with my son when he came in to give me a hug, and I pulled him into one and sang 'our song' to him. I'll Be. I love that he'll dance with me pretty much anywhere. It makes my heart SO happy. If you have a chance to dance in the moment....take it. Whenever/Wherever/with Whomever. Who cares if people stare at you. I guarantee it's because they are too afraid to do it themselves. I also love that Handsome is not afraid to give me a hug and kiss in public and tell me that he loves me. He *may* be a mama's boy.

I ended my evening with my nightly ritual of Snuggletime with Rabbit. She made me laugh with her recap of the VMA's, which she really shouldn't have been watching given the content, but I digress.

I shall leave you with this... http://www.twitvid.com/HYYH8

I cherish the "moments" I have with my children. All of them. Even the arguments. There is love in those moments as well. Just because I get after them sometimes, or they get frustrated with me, does not mean that the love goes away. It means the love is strong enough to endure the disagreements. With us, the good FAR outweighs the bad. I will take ALL the moments over none. Because it is the moments that matter. ;)

1 comment: