Monday, August 29, 2011

Determined...

I was putting on my mascara this morning and noticed that my right eyebrow raises higher than my left. So then I spent a few minutes pondering this anomoly. Trying to figure out why I have a hard time raising my left one. Then I remembered.

I was junior in high school *pause* I think. It could've been my senior year, a little fuzzy at the moment. It was around, that's right, Christmas time. I was was one of three girls who were chosen to each solo a verse of O Holy Night for our Christmas concert. I had always had an inner ear problem. Left one (insert Mel's giggle here). It's why I'm not a 'turner'. That's a dance term for those who are not dancers. The dancers who can turn like 8 -15 times in a row? Yeah, that's not me. I used to be able to get a triple in like it's nothin. Now, I'm happy I can get around twice before my equilibrium throws me off.

Anyway, a few weeks before the concert, I get a bad ear infection that pinches a nerve in my face and gives me Bells Palsy. The whole left side of my face was numb and my smile only went up on my right side. I had trouble singing because I couldn't open my mouth fully to sing. I. Was. Pissed. lol

My choir director (Oh Captain, my Captain) refused to change the line up because he believed I would either get rid of it, OR I would push through and do it anyway. I'm a bit stubborn. *side eye* And I don't give up easily. Long story short, I got up on that stage and I sang my verse and no one knew a thing. I pushed through it and did what I set out to do.

I sang my verse, of my Mother's favorite Christmas carol, while the left side of my face was paralyzed. . I still have to "baby" my left ear. Can't let cold air through that side or it will cause problems. Starting with a migraine. The shit I go through people. SMH If I can do it....so can you. The only difference between me pursuing my dreams vs you pursuing yours? My level of determination.

What is it you want? What's paralyzing you? Push through it and do it anyway. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment