Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Just A Day....

When I talk about my brain being on overdrive and having to decompress, this is what I mean...

I got home from a full day of living about 30 minutes ago, and right into Mommy Mode. My kids stayed home tonight because my daughter has pictures tomorrow and wants her hair curled. She wanted her brother to stay with her because, well, she just did. *shrug* So he stayed to. Let's run down my day shall we?

My alarm went off at 6:20 this morning and I promptly got up and woke up my daughter. This routine consists of going into her room, turning off her night light, switching *on* her desk lamp, and kissing her forehead. She usually wakes up right away (much like her mother), takes a big stretch and then we begin the process of the morning ritual. I ask her what she wants for breakfast, I then go make it. After it's ready, I take the lunch calendar off the fridge and bring it and her breakfast back to her room. She usually eats in there. We go over her lunch options and if she doesn't like what's available, I then go fix her a cold lunch to take, returning the lunch menu to the fridge. (Handsome always eats school lunch)

After I get her lunch figured out, I make sure her daily school planner is signed (she gets "points" if it is signed by a parent every day and "points" taken away if it's not). Next, I go check the weather for the day, because she will inevitably ask me. It determines what she's going to wear. ("Duh mom") THEN I pour myself a cup of coffee and wake up Handsome. By now, it's almost 7am. He can be ready to go in 10-15 minutes. It's the waking up part that he struggles with, although I must say he's doing much better this year.

While they finish getting ready to go, I'll sit down at my desk and hop online for a bit. Handsome sometimes goes out to shoot a few baskets if he has time. Rabbit is usually done getting ready about 20 minutes before she needs to leave for the bus, and ends up asking me every three minutes if it's time to go yet. She LOVES school. Then I send them on their merry way. Now, this schedule varies depending on the day. Handsome is in the midst of OPUS Honor choir rehearsals, preparing his audition piece. If he makes it in, it will be his third year. It's a HUGE deal. Very few kids get selected from each school into this All State Choir. So, on the days he rehearses he has to get dropped off at a different bus location an hour earlier than usual. Rabbit is younger so her rehearsals are after school starting this week. It will be her first year auditioning. They didn't have anything like this when I was their age. I didn't make All State until I was a Sophmore in H.S.

I asked her, "How will you handle it, if for some reason you don't get selected and your brother does?" Her response held no hesitation. "Well I will be thankful for the opportunity and I will try again next year." :)

Moving on, depending on what time I have to be at work determines how my morning will go. This morning did not start out well for me. I wasn't crabby, I just felt......"off". Agitated may be a better word. I was gonna lay down for a bit to try and shake it, but then I remembered I had a conference call at 9am so that didn't happen. After the call I had to hop in the shower and get ready to go, because I had an early lunch meeting downtown. First, I had to call and schedule a haircut appointment for Handsome since his pics are on Thursday. Then I stopped into the salon and paid for his haircut so all he had to do was walk up the street after school to get the cut. Then I headed off to my meeting.That meeting put a significantly lighter bounce in my step.

Starting Oct. 2nd I will be teaching an Adult Beginner Hip Hop, Adult Int/Adv Hip Hop and an Adult Tap class in the East Village of Des Moines. I got pouty when someone got excited and thought I was gonna be teaching in Manhattan. Nope.....not yet. But this is a step in the right direction. I was just saying the other day how I miss teaching, and a the sound my taps make on a wood floor. Then, a few days later, I'm on Facebook and there's a small little ad for a studio that may rent space. I thought, "Hmmm...I wonder how much they would charge me to rent the space so I can offer drop-in classes." After I contacted the studio owner she told me she was actually looking for another teacher and wanted to meet with me to see if it was a good fit. This convo was yesterday. I met her for lunch today and we worked it out.

I love that it is not a "traditional" studio and is more like studios on either coast, where they run sessions and offer drop-in classes. This particular studio only offers 18yrs old and over classes, and I'm okay with that too. The best part is I won't be under a strict contract, which means I can still travel and choreograph or guest teach or perform when and where I'm needed.

 So...I thought it......I spoke it.....and the universe caught it. Now, if I could just get it to catch this other thing I keep lobbin' up in the air. Someday..... perhaps.

Next,  I headed off to my day job. I won't go into that, but there were a few humorous moments for sure.

Came home and got a rundown of my kids day, threw Rabbit into the shower, kissed Handsome goodnight, threw on my pj's, got Rabbit out of the shower and into bed and then sat down at my desk, hopped online to play my words in the 4 separate games of Words with Friends I have currently going, lurked on Twitter for a bit and then decided it was a good time to blog.

Now, I'm going to take my makeup off, crawl into bed and decompress a bit before setting my alarm, and going to sleep. 6:20am will punch me in the face soon enough. Most nights, since I really don't sleep more than four hours at a time, I'll end up grabbing my BB in the middle of the night and lurk. I'll respond every now and then, but I usually just check to see what my bestie has been up to in the wee small hours of the morning. Sometimes I'll tweet, or sometimes we'll chat via BBM. If I don't have to work the following day, then I'll stay online later and take a short nap before getting the kids through the morning routine.

Not the case tomorrow. Tomorrow I have to be to work by 9AM so it's probably a good time to stop talking and go do what I said I was gonna do. Being a Mom is a full time job. Being a single Mom makes it that much more challenging. Now, add two paying jobs to that. I have said many times.....I don't do well with idle. I don't sit still well. I get antsy and restless. I have also said.... I have never been afraid to work.



Now if you'll excuse me.... apparently I need to check the Power Ball.


Then bed.......I think.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you all the time and never knew how your days went. :)

    ReplyDelete